In 1335 Třebíč got the same privileges from Moravian margrave Charles as the town Znojmo; among the privileges there was also the right to fortify the town with city walls and moats. The system of Třebíč fortification was made by city walls, three gates and a town tower. Pic. 1 The centre of town with three gates - 1. the Jihlavská gate, 2. the Jejkovská gate, 3. the Viennese gate
Because there is a road to Jihlava from there, the gate was named the Jihlavská gate. It had been a part of the town fortification since 1335. In the past it was also called the Monasterial gate, because there was a road across the river to the former Benedictine monastery - nowadays the castle in Podklášteří, from there. The Jihlavská Gate
In 1468 it was partly demolished by Hungarian troops and after several years it was rebuilt again during the renovation of the town. Because of its small size it was impossible for bigger or bulky freight to go through for a long time. It was removed in 1868 together with the round bastion in the town wall by the river. The form of the gate near its demolition
The big multi-storey corner house on the left, known as Havlín’s house, was perhaps the oldest house in Třebíč. The house was pulled down at the beginning of 1930s and a modern building of the then municipal savings bank was built at this place. Nowadays there is the district administration of the welfare system in Třebíč.
1930s - the new building of the municipal savings bank
JOURA, Jiří. Procházky starou Třebíčí. Třebíč : Amaprint-Kerndl, s. r. o., 2000. 193 s. JOURA, Jiří. Portréty ze staré Třebíče LXVII. In Zpravodaj města Třebíče, 1980 Used photographs: Mr. M. Maloušek’s archive Sources Work out by Matouš Formánek L4