City walls were one of important signs of a town and they gave feeling of safety to its inhabitants. Walls, three town gates and a town tower were a part of town fortifications. Picture 1 The town centre with three gates 1-Jihlava Gate, 2-Jejkov Gate, 3- Vienna Gate
Suburbs were fotified too. There were smaller gates you could get through. Nowadays there are only subtle remains of walls. The town gates were demolished during 19 th century because of spreading of the town. Remains of the fortifications
The gate, also called Brno Gate, was built after 1335. It was destroyed in 1468 when troops of Mathias Corvinus of Hungary conquered the town. The gate was rebuilt 10 years later. Jejkov gate Views from the Karlovo Square
Access to the gate was protected with a small fortifications with a little tower. There were residential premises above the Gate. As the last one of the Trebic gates, the Jejkov Gate was demolished between 1897 and 1898 because it was not wide enough.
There are sgraffiti of the Gate, both from the Square and from Jejkov,on the side wall of the Capek House.
JOURA, Jiří. Procházky starou Třebíčí. Třebíč : Amaprint-Kerndl, s. r. o., 2000. 193 s. JOURA, Jiří. Portréty ze staré Třebíče LXVII. In Zpravodaj města Třebíče, 1980 HEDBÁVNÝ, Miroslav. Třebíčské pověsti a zajímavosti. Ilustrace Josef Dvořák. 2., rozšířené vyd. Třebíč : Akcent, 2005. 198 s. Used photos: Mr. M.Malousek´s archive Sources Matouš Formánek L4