History of the Wine Bar The founder of so called “Hundred-year wine bar” was Josef Lorenz (1740-1804). It was built in Třebíč at the beginning of Stařečka Street (now V. Nezvala St.). The wine house was founded because Lorenz did not have any place for the wine he got. The bar was then inherited from generation to generation. The original house burnt down and was rebuilt in 1873.
Exterior – design and decoration Before the fire there was a mansard roof on the house. In 1919, the house was decorated with sgraffito with the scenes from old Třebíč, wine motives and a inscription „Vína sklénka, střídmá žínka mysl činí veselou, tuží, zapuzuje chvíli zlou.“
Interior – design and decoration Stylish furnishings; decorated with old painted jugs with the pictures of Třebíč. In the corridor there were wooden bottoms of old wine barrels with figure carvings. The poet Vítězslav Nezval often thought back to the interior of the bar.
Interesting facts In 1903, there was a stand opened for wine tasting. And also thanks to it the bar earned a good reputation. A little cellar belonged to the bar. It was used as a bomb shelter during the World War II. A nightclub was opened on the first floor in 1920. The family owned a house in Litold Street – The Lorenzs’ villa.
The end of the wine bar It closed down in 1977 because of disrupted masonry. The house was demolished in1982. Credits of the Lorenzs family Jakub Lorenz- the founder of a club with the aim to protect and make Třebíč more beautiful (Spolek pro okrášlování a ochranu domoviny v Třebíči). Viktor Lorenz- made the park near Třebíč in Kožichovice’s Gully wider. Ladislav Lorenz- helped with the decoration of the bar.
Sources Text : J. Joura – Obrázkz z minulosti Třebíče Obrázky: archiv pana M. Malouška